This week was full of finishing enough of the house that it looked beautiful for our friends and family to come and visit! My dad was kind enough to use some of his vacation days and come down to help Jake and his dad finish up the house. They did an amazing job. We had a going away/house warming party on Saturday and it was wonderful. We are so excited to move, but also so sad about the family and friends that we won’t be able to have over like that on a regular basis. However, we know that we are so lucky to have such amazing people to miss and to COME VISIT US IN MONTANA!
Besides the party this weekend was also a big deal, because it was our 1st anniversary! So, it made it even more special that on the same weekend that we were celebrating our wedding last year, we were spending it celebrating our next big life event with some of the very same people!
We even got to sleep in our new house on our anniversary night! This was not the plan; however, I am glad that it happened. See we were going through the tools in the garage with some of our friends when one of them said, “is that a snake”. Let’s be honest, I have no idea if there was a snake or not because the minute I heard that word I bolted to the other side of the yard. From this other side of the yard this is what I heard, “ Ah yes that is a snake, let me get it!”, “Holy s#%t, it’s got to be 4 foot long”, “ Eww, that is so gross I cannot look”. There were three people in the garage that point: Jake and our friends Brett and Shontelle. I will give you a guess of who was the one who went into the garage to try and get it out…..THE GIRL. Well, after around 15 minutes of her on her hands and knees trying to look for this snake that slithered away between the boxes that we have stacked in there…the snack remained hidden. So, obviously I refused to sleep in the house any longer. I love the outdoors, I love nature, I love going into the woods and backpacking for days…I do not love when that same “nature” comes into the house. My wonderful husband and friend then proceeded to take out KING mattress out of our bedroom in the house and put it in our bedroom in the new house! It is amazing. It fit perfectly, after redirection from myself and Shontelle, and we honestly had the best nights sleep we have had in a while. We slept in our FIRST house, on our FIRST wedding anniversary and it was perfect.
Eighth Week of Construction Lessons
- Trim makes everything better. Even when you thought it looked perfect before.
- The freaking white washing is NEVER DONE. I should have accepted this about 3 blog posts ago.
- It feels SO good to go to home depot to RETURN items rather than buy them.
- Seasoning something does not just mean to add spices to it.
- Plumbing is a pain in the rear end. Or so I have gathered from the amount of curse words that I had heard from the house.
- The way to a girls heart is through surprises. I freaking love surprises.
- Our animals are still spoiled. Also, yes they did sleep in the new house with us on the first night!
- Build the house to fit all circumstances. Just do it.
- It’s all in the details.
- Beer. Always a good idea.